Thursday, March 7, 2013

Nebraska State Of Mind

I expected the drive through Nebraska to pass by as a blur of farmland and a necessary evil to reach the promise-land of Colorado.  I have never been so happy to be wrong.

After emerging from the slushy snowy roads of Chicago and spending over 8 hours on the road, I arrived in Lincoln NE in a bleary state of mind and pulled up to the oh so classy Countryside Suites, located conveniently by the King Kong Restaurant.  The receptionist at the Countryside Suites welcomed me with a warm smile, a first floor room to make it easier to schlep my bike inside, a coupon for 2-for-1 cheesesteaks, and a barrage of questions about where I was from, where I was going, and why I would want to go to Argentina versus Spain.

Aside from the awesome decor, they had a pretty decent gyro greek salad thingy.
Despite the tempting 2-for-1 cheesesteak coupon, I ended up running across the parking lot to King Kong to get some dinner to go, and paired it with some boxed red wine.  Yup.  Awesome.  I had a wonderful date night with myself, slept in, took a long hot bath, and finally set out for Boulder CO shortly after 10am.  

After a couple hours on the road, I saw signs for an original Pony Express historical site in Gothenburg NE, and figured that was as good a place as any to stop for lunch and get a lil history.  It was the best decision I made all day.

My version of "Where's Waldo"?
It's easy to find yourself at the fast food joints that are clustered with the gas stations right at the exit to each of the small towns along the interstate.  However, it's always worth bypassing these faceless monstrosities to get into town.  Gothenburg is one of those classic small towns with a 3-block long Main Street that has exactly one bar, one diner, one bank, one law office... you get the drift.  I found myself wandering into Daylight Donuts, Gothenburg's local breakfast and lunch spot.

Daylight Donuts was empty except for a few regulars and the owners eating at a round table.  Their banter came to a halt as I peeked in and asked if lunch was still being served.  The proprietor gave me a sassy look and told me "well, we have chicken, chicken, or chicken."  "Well," I said with a laugh, "I guess I'm having the chicken."
  
For $7, I got to help myself to the salad, bar a plate of my choice of white/dark/mixed fried chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, my choice of blueberry/lemon merengue/chocolate cream pie, and a huge coffee.  I also was asked put a note on their wall of fame!

A few wisecracks later, I found myself in hilarious company for the rest of my meal.  What was supposed to be a short stopover turned into a long leisurely lunch during which we chatted about the origins of my name, my bike trip, my shockingly youthful appearance, my untrustworthiness as a lawyer, the new trucks being delivered to the local dealer, and me taking over Daylight Donuts when I come back.   
The Gothenburg lunch crew.
I was sent off with hugs, a pair of handmade Gothenburg NE potholders, and two combo pen-flashlights inscribed with the address of Daylight Donuts, lest I ever forget this lunch spot.

Best.  Present.  Ever.

4 comments: