Saturday, March 23, 2013

4000 Miles Down, 1500 Miles To Go

Idaho welcomed me with my first speeding ticket in over 15 years and another contender for "where LeeAnn could live if and when she comes back to the U.S."  After being given a personal tour of downtown Boise by my friend Melissa, a former co-worker turned fellow law student turned BigLaw monkey turned in house counsel monkey, I was left with the distinct impression that Boise has a wonderful balance of eclectic funky culture, thriving cycling community, mountains, and that elusive warm cozy small-town feel.  That may also have been Melissa's lawyering skills not-so-secretly trying to persuade me to move to Boise as well.

Melissa takes us to a dark back alley with velociraptors.
Jeffkins, this one reminded me of you.
Of particular note was the thriving local craft brew scene and the homebrew supply store around the corner from Melissa's house.

Continuing my local craft beer tour... both the Thunder Monkey and Outlaw were delicious, and paired well with the poutine fries we got.  When in Idaho, eat potatoes.
After a lovely happy hour, we headed back to have homemade tacos made by Melissa's husband and we passed the evening chatting and drinking wine.  The next morning, we were a little worse for the wear, but it was time to head to Richland, WA to my parents' place for some R n' R and to drop off my earthly possessions.

Driving through three snowstorms makes for a dirty Chevy Impala.
Righting my wrong.
What's becoming more and more clear is that when I settle down somewhere again, it will definitely be somewhere Colorado or west.  I find myself surprisingly in love with small towns like Moab or small cities like Boise... so much so that I can't imagine living somewhere like Washington DC again for any extended period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment