Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cross-Country Road Trippin'

One of the hallmarks of American youth is the dream of the cross-country driving trip. While this won't be on Route 66 in an old convertible with the top down and wind in my hair, it'll be pretty damn awesome. Turns out that the cost of flying out west and transporting all my earthly possessions cross country, then getting myself down to the border with Mexico, would only be marginally cheaper than renting a car. A couple hundred bucks more and I get to visit all my people in between and go play in national parks?  My likely cycling partner wants to join me in Colorado for the rest of the road trip? My my travel insurance offers rental car collision coverage? I get to the border well in advance of the killer hot days of summer? Done and done.

Five weeks.  Me.  A Car.  U.S.... Watch Out!
My itinerary looks something like this:

March 1: Pick up rental car.

  • Washington, DC
  • Cleveland, OH (Efrain B-Day)
  • Ann Arbor, MI (Katy)
  • Lansing, MI (Godparents)
  • Grand Rapids, MI (Katie and Marie)
  • Chicago, IL (Lorien)
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Boulder, CO (Kiki, Noah, and Snowboarding n' Fun Stuffs)
  • Grand Junction, CO (Lauren and Fruita MTB!)
  • Moab, UT (Arches, Canyonlands, Moab MTB!)
  • Zion National Park (Camping n' Hiking!)
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Boise, ID (Starry)
  • Richland, WA (Parental Units)
  • Seattle, WA (Bros and Leah)
  • Portland, WA (Kate?/Mark?)
  • Redwoods National Park (Camping and Biking!)
  • San Francisco, CA (Vik/Scott?)
  • San Diego, CA (Andy/Linda)
April 5: Drop off rental car and start BYK.

No comments:

Post a Comment