Monday, April 8, 2013

San Diego (aka Vacation From My Vacation Before My Vacation)

I ended my five week long cross country road trip with mixed feelings.  I felt that I didn't have quite enough time in any particular place, but arrived in San Diego happy to have a home base for a little while to recover from the long days of driving and the ambitious schedule I had set for the trip, and to allow Gonzalo to get some work done.  So after five weeks of car "ownership," I happily relinquished my gas-guzzling Chevy Impala.  Gonzalo and I were greeted at the rental car return by my dad, who decided to come down to San Diego for a couple days.

While my dad is staying with my cousin, Gonzalo and I are staying with Gonzalo's friend and gracious host Eduardo, who welcomed us with a chilaquiles and cafe de la olla brunch, and a dedicated hammock zone in his yard.

Digesting our chilaquiles brunch in the zona de hamacas.
The first order of business was to relax and otherwise take advantage of the weekend to break bread with family and friends in the area.

Dad and I decided to meet up for a hike up Cowles Mountain which boasts a 360 degree panaroma of the San Diego area and even tidbits of Tijuana and the Coronado islands on a clear day.  It's the highest point in San Diego at a whopping 1591 feet above sea level.

Tyson, this one is for you.  They even tell you where to find them!
San Diego county officials have a strange way of locking up the gate.
Dad at the top of the mountain!
Now that the weekend is over, it's time to deal with all the last minute things like calling my banks to update my travel notifications, paying my credit card bill one last time, tuning up my bike, going through my gear one last time, and doing a final fully loaded test ride before we head across the border on Thursday or Friday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment