Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dear Washington D.C.

Dear Washington D.C.,

It's been a good run.  We've had 15 long years together, on and off again, some years for the better and some for the worse.  I've played softball on the Mall, cried at the Holocaust museum, eaten gallons of Ethiopian food, witnessed election history in the making, eaten my way through your food trucks and multitudes of ethnic street food fairs, kayaked the Potomac, biked your trails, gotten nearly kicked out of the midnight showing of The Goonies at E Street, marched in the name of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, watched award-winning plays, discovered your artistic side, battled taxis on my bike, fallen in and out of love with you, discovered every nook and cranny of your four quadrants, paid my dues as a BigLaw attorney, and danced countless nights into the sunrise.

But it's time for me to go.  No regrets and no hard feelings, but it's just time.  There's nothing left for me here.  While a part of me will always cherish these 15 years, you aren't home anymore.

My datebook for the next couple of weeks is nothing short of a stunning show of the wealth of love, good memories, and laughter I've amassed here during our time together.  Here's to good food, Belgian beer, mussels, stogies, live music, growler hours, happy hours, kung fu, and the best of friends who, when it really matters, show up and help me realize that the best is ahead of me.

Nostalgically Yours,
LeeAnn

P.S.  I'm officially relinquishing my status as a D.C. resident and making my roots out west to your cousin out west... Washington State!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, LeeAnn. It sounds like you gave and got the best of DC. Can't wait to watch your adventure unfold.

    ReplyDelete