Friday, June 23, 2017

Day 4: Gordon River Dispersed Site To Halfway Up Summit To Fourth Lake (40-ish miles)

Nocturnal birds flapping in the night kept waking me up, but I otherwise passed the night peacefully.  I was up and out early as I knew my route for this day was going to be my hardest and most grueling day.  While the sunny skies were beautiful, they were also brutally hot.  I battled confusing road signs, steep gravel road grades, roads rarely if ever travelled anymore, and had the adventure of a lifetime.  It was a quintessential bikepacking day and it felt triumphant to successfully navigate this section of the trip.

Finally ran into my first logging trucks... the lack of rain lately has made for a lot of dust.  Luckily, I just had a few miles before I turned off onto smaller gravel roads.

Seriously, though, those flowers!

Hmmm... surely that means only for cars.  The handwritten note that "Google Lies" had me thinking it was not closed just for logging... I made a gamble and just went for it.

Exposed, sunny, steep, and still beautiful... so much hike-a-bike!

Remnants of logging long past.  Clearly it had not been used recently.

One of the biggest gambles I made this day was to ignore the "Road Closed" sign.  I thought maybe it was closed for logging, but it was clear that there hadn't been any logging up this way recently.  As I slowly progressed further and further, my mind wandered in circles, and desperately hoped that I would not have pushed my bike up the steep summit only to have to turn around and figure out a new route.  And then, I discovered that I was right.  The road was only closed to cars because it had washed out and just a small bit of singletrack connected the route through the washout.  A weight lifted off my shoulders as I walked my bike and panniers separately over the loose singletrack.

Where the road ends for cars.

Clearly, nothing had really been through here in a while.  I battled tree limbs and loose rocks the whole way down.

It was barely rideable due to the fist sized rocks and I wiped out.  Oops.

After basically having to walk my bike down the other side of this summit, I finally reconnected victoriously with the main dirt road.  I was so pumped until one of my panniers kept popping off the rack.  Turns out I broke the latch on one of them when I crashed my bike, so I ziptied the pannier to the rack and then it was clear sailing from here to Lake Cowichan where I planned to have a late lunch and a swim.

Logging trucks, no matter how respectfully they passed me, still kicked up a ton of dust.

Cowichan is beautiful!

Found my own private swimming spot where I hunkered in the shade to eat lunch and got to go skinny dipping.

Energized by a leisurely lunch and swim, I loaded up on water and headed towards Nanaimo.  I knew I had a killer summit ahead of me and vowed to get up as much of it as possible tonight.  This meant I might have to dry camp, so I carried 3 extra liters of water.  Again, the signs tried to fool me and emboldened by my previous endeavor, I forged ahead.  I was a little worried that "no access" meant there would be active logging since the other sign had just said the road was closed.  As the day wore on, I was in high spirits.  There wasn't a single car and I saw two ultralightweight bikepackers zooming down the other way.

Nope.  Ignoring you, too!

The mountains still had a wee bit o' snow left on them.

The crushing summit earlier had sapped a lot of my energy so I was trudging up the summit in a painfully slow manner.  I had to push my bike up so much that I started getting blisters and finally decided to call it quits and find a big pullout to set up camp in.  Bear poo was scattered on the road here and there, so I knew I was going to have to be careful with my food and sure enough, right as I was cleaning up from dinner, I saw two big black bears with their baby cub.  Even though black bears aren't known for attacking humans, I scrambled to hang my food, snapped a quick picture, and dove into my tent.  They ambled by peacefully and didn't bother me or my food stash at all, but my brain was racing... did I have enough reserves to make it to Nanaimo with no food?  Would I have to punch a bear in the face?  Will this be the adventure that ends all adventures?

Black bear family from afar.

Not really a bad campsite though, really, even if it was just by the side of the road.

 A few tips for cycle tourists:

  • This area has a ton of dispersed camping and while I had intended on staying at an established campground, I preferred to rough it.  
  • This is also some of the most remote cycling I've done and just know that you need to be able to be 100% self-sufficient for at least a day to do this part well.  And have a good GPS.  Maps.ME was great and accurate and made navigation easy.
  • Yup, there are bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment