Friday, July 1, 2016

Day 1: Bend, OR To Cascade, ID To Just Shy Of Warm Lake, ID

Sometimes life hands you unexpected free time and the need to find space to heal from the bumps of life and work.  The Fourth of July weekend in my lovely hometown of Bend, Oregon is notorious for its debauchery and influx of tourists from far and wide.  This was not what my soul needed.  It had been far too long since I unplugged and rebooted.  My solution?  A solo bikepacking tour in the middle of nowhere Idaho.  For those not in the know, Idaho boasts some of the most pristine, isolated, and beautiful forests, mountains, rivers, and hot springs.  Just my kind of escape.

Last year, I biked 70% of the Adventure Cycling Association's Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike route with my buddy Ryan.  There was a small section that we skipped because of time and so I decided that I would go back to conquer that section.

Getting fancy with my meals... homemade veggie pho with tuna, complete with dehydrated CSA veggies, dried mushrooms, buckwheat noodles, and siracha packets.

I had a relatively lazy morning in Bend, packed up the car, and drove the 6 hours to Cascade, Idaho from Bend.  I rolled into the Alpine Lodge and Motel, which is where I parked last year.  Kevin, the owner, remembered me from the year before and graciously allowed me to park there again.  Apparently, the Google drone had captured my car there and so my red Honda Fit was forever immortalized as being there.  At least that's what Kevin said.

Plenty of daylight as I start an easy spin on Warm Lake road towards Warm Lake.
Random pretty lake and glamour shot for my sexy steed.

Idaho gets it right.  Also, I enjoy that this is a bike and truck.  Appropriate also for Idaho.

Although I have done the vast majority of travel solo traveling European backpacker style from hostel to hostel on chicken buses from Mexico to Argentina, I haven't done much solo bike touring.  It's a different beast.  You are the captain of your own ship and you might go days without any real interaction with anyone.  Nothing but the thoughts racing in your brain.  I find cycling to be meditative and enjoyed watching the scenery pass by as I soaked in the late afternoon sun.

Long shadows late in the afternoon.

I had intended on camping at the Trail Creek hot springs, but a family with kids was already there.  Luckily, just a mile later were a few dispersed campsites, still empty, despite it being a holiday weekend.

A few notes for bike tourists:
  • There is a fresh spring water spigot on the north side of Warm Lake road just a few miles in in just short of the junction with forest road 400.  It doesn't flow fast, but the water is cold and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment