Thursday, April 4, 2013

Test Ride Redux n' Redwoods Mania

Crescent City is one of those small sleepy towns that bills itself as the hotspot for tourists looking to enjoy the place where the ocean meets the Redwoods.  We woke up the next morning to mist and clouds, but the weather forecast promised it would clear up in the afternoon, so I decided to do a solo test ride to scout out some cycling options through the Redwoods for the afternoon while Gonzalo stayed at the Super 8 to get some work done.

Setting off for a solo test ride while Gonzalo works from our classiest of Super 8 Motels (photo credit: Gonzalo).
Although I started off a little wobbly, I soon found myself riding with a lot more confidence, thanks to the pared down and reorganized set-up and sheer stubbornness.  I spent the next hour and a half exploring Crescent City and its nearby environs, including the beautiful bike trail along the bay.  Then the clouds suddenly cleared and I found myself rolling along the coast with a stupid grin on my face.

Gorgeous test ride along the bay.
I found my way to the local lighthouse and a lovely local retiree struck up a conversation with me about my bike and my trip.  She gave me some wonderful words of encouragement and a few wise bits of advice that come with being 73 and a fellow kindred free spirit.

Taking in the view of the lighthouse on my test ride.
I rushed back to the Motel 8 to make lunch... some awesome quesadillas a la microonda for myself and Gonzalo, and then we set off to cycle Howland Hill Road, an unmaintained dirt road that runs through old growth Redwoods.

Perfect ride through the Redwoods.
Perfect parking spot while we checked out some massive trees.
So tall!
The Redwoods reminded us of a forest lost in time... and Star Wars and Ewoks.  We took our time winding through these giants, stopping as usual to find and photograph the beauty in every nook and cranny of our journey.  And as always, silliness prevailed as we sang and whistled the theme music from Endor scenes from Episode 6 and pretended to zoom along on speeder bikes.

Prehistoric beauty.
Dead tree fun (photo credit: Gonzalo).
Morning mist condensation on a clover... which were proportionate to the Redwood trees!
"Photogenic flower" I found on a side hike.
While most folks seemed to explore the Redwoods by car, maybe stopping at a hiking trailhead for a photo opp, we were happy to explore them by bike.  I'm pretty sure we saw a different side of the Redwoods than most tourists...

I don't think I'm supposed to be in here (photo credit: Gonzalo).
I think Gonzalo called me the evil tree queen (photo credit: Gonzalo).
My cross country road trip is finally coming to an end.  After leaving Crescent City and continuing the gorgeous drive along the 101 through California wine country, I reconnected with a few very old and dear friends in San Francisco and Long Beach.  Over 5000 miles later, it's time to turn in my rental car in San Diego tomorrow, catch up with family one last time, and make our final preparations before we start the bike tour towards the end of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment